Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Battery has charge but there engine will not crank, no

clicking sound either. JA: Have you...
Battery has charge but there engine will not crank, no clicking sound either.
JA: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?
Customer: Immobilizer blinking normally (quickly)
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 07 Tundra
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 5.7 I have tried jumping it and making sure the battery terminals were tight and clean
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that should be enough info 177k miles on it
11/13/2017
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Does the light stop blinking when you turn the key on?

Is it a manual transmission or auto?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Manual transback in 30 sec with answer on the light

Ok, sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Light turns off, A/T oil temp and check engine light stay on

Ok

Is it a manual transmission though? I am wondering why it has an AT temp light if it's a manual.

I just want to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oops sorry auto trans

Ok

It's possible there is a problem with the park/neutral position switch on the transmission. This can cause no sounds at all from the starter. Before we dig into it though, do you have a test light?
Also, check fuse AM2 and ST, I think the am2 is in the box inside the truck and the other is under the hood, they should be labeled. If one of them is blown, it's not going to power up anything at the starter.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will test that. Is it possible to resume this conversation tomorrow?

Yes, I should be here from about 12 pm to 7 eastern time. If I am not on, just post here and I will get it when I sign back on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, I'll keep this page open. I need to be to work. I will test the fuses before I resume.

You're very welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Mike,I checked the fuses and relay. I did not find an AM2 but I did find AM1.None of the fuses seem to be blown.

Ok, AM2 must be in the box under the hood then. I have about 45 minutes then I have to sign off for an hour or so.

Do you have a test light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do. Let me check under the hood

Excellent. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AM2 was under the hood. I used the test light and both pins gave light

It's a good start. I believe under the hood in the same box there should be a relay labeled start relay or st. What I would like to do is have you pull it and check and make sure there is power on 2 slots when the key is in the start position. This will help us determine if the park/neutral position switch is working.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are potentially two fuses labeled ST. one is pink 30amp the other is purple and much bigger
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 30amp one is right next to the AM2

I am showing a 30 amp for the starter. That is a fusible link and if you look through the top, it should show a solid copper line. The other, which is bigger sounds like the relay. Is it possible for you to upload a pic of what you see?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything that can go wrong is. For some reason, the one picture I took to share with you has the sharwe option grayed out.Anyways, I am pretty sure the large one is the raley and the 30amp one is a fuse. I pulled the relay out and turned the key to start. Put the light tester in and got a + reading from left slot and nothing from the right slot.

Ok, have to check all 4 slots because they aren't necessarily lined up.

Let me know and yes sounds like the relay to me. Can't find a diagram in the service manual at all.

Well, we know we have power on one, check all 3 of the others and remember, the key must be in the start position, not just on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the girlfriend tuning the key. checked all 4 pin holes. Both pins on the left side lit up both on the right did not

Ok, so, we are getting power where it should be. If you plug in the relay and she turns the key to start, are you getting a click from the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is a click. It is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from.It only clicks once if a keep the key turned, but if i release and turn the key again I get another click.

Ok, put your finger on that relay and see if you feel it click. I bet you do. This means the ignition switch and the computer and the park/neutral are all doing their job.

If you do feel the click on that relay, I need you to go to the starter itself and check for power on the small violet or black wire when the key is in the start position, and also check the larger wire for power. This should have power all the time. Doesn't matter if the key is on or off. Think it's black with a blue stripe in it. Its the main power feed so it should be a fairly good sized wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
definitely a click from the relay.Getting to the starter is the tricky part. It is above exhaust manifold and below engine block.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This will take me some time to get too.

I know, it's a problem. Before you go through it, try changing the relay. If it's bad, maybe it;s the problem.

It's possible. I have to bounce for a bit, but should be back by 1:30-2 to reconnect, let me know what you find and what you have tried and I will get right back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good, I have to go make a sale as well and I will get a new relay while i am out.

I just wanted to let you know I am back online and we can continue whenever you are ready.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just started taking the tire off. I have all the tools need for starter replacement. I do not have a starter yet. Just going to access it. ORiley did not have the correct relay. They had a temperature control one that looked similar but I did not get it.

Ok

Yeah, we just need you to get to the wiring for now. Because we can see if the power is getting to the solenoid and make sure the starter has power to it. Once we have the answer to that, it will tell us if the problem is with the wiring to the starter solenoid or some kind of issue with the main positive battery cable. On my 07 F150 it actually broke AT the starter! I was quite shocked to find that to be honest, so these days I don't rule anything out until I have tested it. I do know most of what should be there at the moment all seems fine and dandy.

Let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Finished the tire. Going after the heat shields. Also the dip stick. I have watched a few youtube videos on the repair.

Yeah, its not a very user friendly application thats for sure!

Nissan Titans now have the starter under the intake manifold!!

I wish I got paid to design this stuff lol...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re doing a great job at troubleshooting this with me. Hold tight while I get the clips off.

Thanks, ***** ***** here until at least 7 now, so let me know when you can.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am really struggling to get the front heat shield fastner off. I took of the dipstick bolt so it has room to move. But I can not get a good angle with the 10mm u-joint. I worked on it until dark. I think the bolt might be slightly stripped.

Can you even see the wires on it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the starter? I can see some but cannot reach

Ok, if you look at the bottom of the starter relay, does there happen to be any numbers on it? Where the blades come out of it?

Hadn't heard back from you so I was wondering how you are making out with this?

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician
carguy1
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician