Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Heater cable not moving. Coolant fine. 98 Avalon xls.

Customer Question
Heater cable not moving ...

Heater cable not moving

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

98 Avalon xls

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced climate control module, but heater cable still doesn't function nor moves (disengaged from valve)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it for now

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Ok then

can you please send a picture of the controls you have so I know which ones I'm dealing with? also Is the heat control cable that is nor working?

Give me just a second
1st one

Ok thanx for that info . Could you be patient as I review some notes on this problem in our shop manual.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

ok you said you had disconnected the cable from the heater valve and still does not move? Is this the cable you are referring to?h

That is correct

Because your control is all electronic it has no cables to it but it sends a signal to an actuator that controls the cable movement. You can check that end of the cable but in my experience usually you will find the cntroller not sending a signal to the actuator and the control needs replacing which is easy to do and can find them on E BAY reasonable.

I believe I stated that I already replaced the climate control module as shown in the picture. Is that the control you are referring to?

yes , ok then we need to make sure we're getting voltage to it and to the actuator that controls the cable. Do you need wiring diagram or color codes for these tests?

Is there a servo motor that operates the cable? Location then? Check those wires I guess??

yes should be driver's side of the heater box probably behind a cover.

I should say also I guess that the a/c works just fine but when the heat is needed .... Nothing
Ok..... then if I manually move the heat valve open (which I have done) shouldn't I get heat then or is something else preventing the heat to flow through

The valve itself can be damaged internally. After you run the engine until operating temp feel the hose at that valve on both sides if hotter on one side with valve open then valve is needing replacement. BOTH heater hoses should be hot if water is going through the heater core.

Just tested both hoses in and out are hot Cold air is blowing through defrost and floor

ok I will need to further check our manuals tomorrow at work and get back.

Ok thanks

check this servo it's for the air blend door.

This servo is located where

behind the glove box on side of blend door, if it checks out check the amplifier.

if that checks out inspect the amplifier.

here are some diagrams for the location of the servos and amplifier, and what it looks like. All those tests are from our repair manual

Looks like the amplifier came with the climate control module so that should be ok and the servo would be the problem. Would this also prevent the Heater control cable from moving?

not that one but it blends the heat and outside air . If that amplifier was replaced as well that is great, saves a lot of checking. You should see on one of the diagrams the servo that controls that cable , I would suspect that's the culprit with all the items you have replaced that is the one left that controls it.

That amplifier shown is not the one I replaced but I will check the cable service and then the air mixer servo tomorrow and let you know

I'll be here maybe late though.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician