Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We bought a 2010 Prius a few weeks ago and I drove it for

Hello we bought a 2010...
Hello we bought a 2010 Prius a few weeks ago and I drove it for several days while my van was in the shop. It sat in the driveway for about 10 days then it would not turn on this morning.
JA: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My son has a Toyota Celica so he tried to jump start the Prius
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: the Prius appeared to turn on but as soon as the jumper cables were removed, it shut down
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the first time I tried turning it on, only the yellow triangle with an exclamation point was showing up after we jumped it, we saw a warning about the parking brake and other displays that made no sense plus it would not let us put in any gear (again, we were attached to jumper cables at that time)
11/12/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you have is a discharged Auxiliary Battery (AuxBat). The AuxBat is responsible for powering up the various electronic control modules in this car. The life expectancy of the AuxBat is roughly 3-4 years. If it is dead, you are not getting enough power to the modules. I would recommend you replace it with a genuine Toyota battery (because the parts store batteries are not the same spec as the genuine one). If you have not found it, the AuxBat is in the hatch on the passenger rear corner.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The following day, the Prius turned on without any issues so now I'm very confused. The battery seemed dead but after we jumped the car several times, it still would not turn on and drive. Why would it work the next day??? Should we still replace the battery?

I am confused about the negative rating you have awarded me. Please confirm you meant to do that.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert