Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2000 camry. No dash, windows, or brake lights. No power in

Customer Question
2000 camry JA: Are you fixing...
2000 camry
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No dash, windows, or brake lights
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No power in side
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No power to the fuse box under the dash
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
11/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Was anything done recently to the engine or electrical system? anything repaired or replaced/ do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test lamp?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Timing belt. And yes we have a voltmeter

Thanks for the reply,

In the fuse box under the hood is a 120A alternator fuse, it is larger than the others and has a clear cover on it, is this fuse intact and does it have power to it, the cover can be removed to check voltage. there is also another smaller 30 or 40 amp fuse please check it as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There all good

O​k, just to clarify, there is no power to any fuses on the inside fuse box with the key on, is this correct? there is also a 30 amp power fuse on the inside is this fuse good and does it have voltage to it, remove the fuse and see if one terminal has power.

I also need to know if it's a 4 cylinder or v6.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4

ok, let me know about the other fuses inside.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are checking now

standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all the fuses but 30RDI AND CDS work. No this no power in the car

Ok, does the engine crank and start or nothing happens?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cranks and runs. Just the interior stuff is not working

ok that helps let me look at my diagram for a minute.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay and it's a 1998 I don't know if that would make a difference

In the fuse box is a 40Amp fuse called AM1 is there voltage to it and is it good?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There's one called main that's a 40amp and it does have power. But there isn't one called am1

Be right back

The 40A main is not the problem, it goes to the starter relay. What happens when you turn the key to the ACC position, does anything work like the radio or the cig lighter?

got to take a 15 min break, I'll be back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing is working in the car on ACC or running
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuse box under this dash has no power

T​he fuse box inside gets poiwer from the ignition switch, replace the switch. Ny diagram shows a 40Amp AM1 fuse, it supplies power to the ign switch, give me a moment to locate this fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The black with red strip wire in the bottom of of the fuse box don't that feed the fuse box ?

The 40A AM 1 fuse is located in the fuse panel on the inside to the on the right below where the small fuses are.

And yes the black/red wire feeds the fuse box through the AM1 fuse then through the ignition switch, so if there is no power or the fuse is blown the switch is dead.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has no power
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not satisfied want my money back
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not satisfied want my money back 20.00

The fuse has no power because the 100 A alternator fuse is burned out, this is the first thing I asked you to check, sorry, this didn't work out for you, please contact the moderator for a refund.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not burned out it bran new
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Put it in today
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Grounded out when putting Alt back on

T​he 100A alternator fuse is connected to the 40A AM1 fuse so if there is no voltage at the 40A fuse then there is a problem between the 100 A fuse and the 40A fuse, if there is voltage to both sides of the alternator fuse recheck the connections underneath for the 100 A fuse, it's possible that one of the white heavy wires was not connected back on.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech