Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Rav4. Randomly cuts off while driving. Replaced battery…

Customer Question
2010 Rav4. Randomly...

2010 Rav4. Randomly cuts off while driving. Replaced battery 2 months ago. All was fine. Now doing it again. I have read that many of these cars in particular wind up having a problems with the electrical system that is minor, but difficult to find. Many people have had alternator replaced/full service and still this exact issue. What are your thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes, battery read bad cell at auto parts store, they replaced it, but it happened again. Been only 2 months. No apparent leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tested alternator last time, came back fine. Replaced battery and all was great for past 2 months. This happened without warning. Everything just shuts off. I havent tried anything else yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Trying to fix myself.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

After it shuts off, does it eventually start up again? If so how long does it take before it starts again?

Will not start up again. Battery has to be charged by a jump. This last time i couldnt make it more than quarter mole without it shutting off again. O reilys replaced battery and it got me home.
The battery light is on on the dash now also

T​hanks for the reply, it does sound like the alternator is not charging the battery, if you have a voltmeter check the voltage at the battery while the engine is idling, should be around 13 volts. If no meter4 is available disconnect the negative battery cable while the engine is running, if the engine dies within one minute the alternator is the problem.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech