Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Scraping or scrunching sound when going over a bump (right…

Customer Question
Scraping or scrunching sound...

Scraping or scrunching sound when going over a bump (right front wheel). Got worse with new snow tires. Also, possibly unrelated, a thrumming sound that matches the speed of the tire rotation.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Right front wheel, months.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

99 toyota corolla le

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: carguy1, auto technician replied 8 months ago
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

This sounds like a problem with a bad wheel bearing. It can cause this type of sound. Sometimes you can hear it change pitch as you weave back and forth in the lane. Basically you are loading and unloading the bearing. It's possible it's just a tire noise, but I would have the bearing inspected.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!