Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On my 2003 Toyota Camry my hood latch release cable isn't…

Customer Question
On my 2003 Toyota...

On my 2003 Toyota Camry my hood latch release cable isn't connected and I need to manually open the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota Camry. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Nope just that.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/9/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is it not connected at the latch or at the pull lever?

Correct. It looks like the cable on the pull lever has become unattached. The battery is dead in the vehicle so I need to get the hood open to get the vehicle running and take it to a mechanic.

so if it is still at the latch just simply take a pair of pliers at the the pull lever underdash and pull on the cable and that should release the hood

some hoods are stubborn and even after you pull the release cable it seems they will not open and you may need someone to pull upwards on the hood while you pull on the release cable

It looks like the cable fell back behind the dash I can find it anywhere in the hole. Is there a way to do it at the actual latch point on the front of the car?

not without some serious special tools, you may have to remove the kick panel to access the hood release cable,

I think I can handle that. Thanks I will give it a try.

let me know how it all works out

.