Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Fuel pump stay a running even with the ignition switch

Fuel pump stay a...

Fuel pump stay a running even with the ignition switch removed. It will start and run for a second then die.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Several times and the relays also.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2001 Tundra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm a ARE master tech with 45 years experience.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I disconnect the battery for several hours then reconnect the problem resolves itself, very intermittent.

11/9/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The problem is caused by a stuck on relay. If you tap on the C/OPN and EFI relays in the engine fuse box when problem is happening and the pump shuts off when it is tapped then replace the suspect relays.

If you have no other questions for me then please enter a 5 star rating so i get credit for assisting you today. Thanks.

Have replaced the relays with new ones and problem still there.

Do you have the 4.7 or 3.4 motor? The relays are controlled by the computer and if the ECM is not turning off the relay even after power is turned off for the ECM then you may have a short internal to the ECM. The C/OPN relay is the one that is being stuck on since it is one that supplies to fuel pump relay on 4.7 motor. The fuel pump relay on the 4.7 is for dual speed pump operation. The 3.4 does not use a separate fuel pump relay and runs at single speed by the C/opn relay. Have you replaced the ECM or checked harness to make sure it is not shorting between relays and ECM?

Let me know the engine you have and i can give you the circuit diagrams.

4.7 2WD

Did you have any other questions for me? If not, please enter a 5 star rating so I get credit for assisting you. Thanks.

I have not got a response from the last answers I sent you. Do you still need assistance?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61
Jaybird61