Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Check engine light is on. Stays on. 2005 Camry 4 dr. Opened…

Check engine light is...

Check engine light is on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2005 Camry 4 dr.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Opened the hood . . .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have replaced the gasp and the charcoal filter.

11/8/2017
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you know what code is being stored?

No. Don't know what that means.
Someone said it needs to be driven about 50 miles at highway speeds. Would that damage the engine?

The check engine light on means there is a problem with one of the monitored systems on the car. This will store a code in the computer to tell us which one has a problem and where to start looking. Driving the car if it's running poorly is not going to clear the light and if the engine is running bad, it could cause more damage.

You need to have the codes read to know where to start looking. This is done with a scan tool or a code reader. Most of the larger parts stores will do this free for you. If you can have this done and post it here with me, I can tell you what's going on with the car. The code will start with a P, for example, P0455.

If the car is running normally, it's usually a problem with one of the evap emissions components. If this is the case, the car is safe to drive even with the light on.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician