Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Toyota Tacoma that got wet during Irma, it swings…

Customer Question
I have a Toyota...

I have a Toyota Tacoma that got wet during Irma, it swings beautifully, but doesn't start, basically has no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I'm concerned it might be an sensor stoping it from starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tacoma?

It's a 1996 Tacoma, standard

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked for fuel, it's getting to plenty, I also checked for spark, by removing coil lead with spark plug in it and tested that, i sprayed out the fuse box with contact cleaner, as well as other electrical components that I can tell pertains to the ignition system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's got good crank, and all fuses are good

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Do you happen to have any using a scan tool?

I do have access to an old school computer that reads voltage from circuits
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

Did you happen to get any codes?

No, in fact, that tool became available today, but there is the fact that the security computer function of the vehicle is on and working, the horn works, brakes work, just no spark, not even a pop from any one of the six cam fed cylinders
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

ok so no codes? or you have not had a chance to check for codes?

That's a simple voltmeter is what I meant, not an actual computer with complete read out
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

ok got ya! We can test every sensor on the vehicle if you like, but we would be more productive if we had a scan tool to give us a lead somewhere, would you like to try to test every sensor such as cam and crank or would you like to try to get a cheap scanner and find out if there is any codes?

I'm in the Virgin Islands and access to technology is limited where I am, which sensor do you think is most likely the problem ?
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

It is highly likely the crankshaft sensor that can be bad, or bad ignition coil or connection to coil

I'm thinking your right with the crankshaft sensor, is it easy to replace? How much would the part cost?
Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

what is the engine size?

Toyota Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 6 months ago

Are you still here?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician