Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

09 tacoma pre-runner reg cab 5spd 2.7ltr. Low beam

Customer Question
09 tacoma pre-runner reg...

09 tacoma pre-runner reg cab 5spd 2.7ltr .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Low beam headlights will only turn on if the ignition switch is on. all fuses inside box and outside box check good, daytime running lights work as they should

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Everything else works fine, high beams etc...just can't get headlights to turn on without the key switch turned to run

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

How long has this been going on?

Just a few days now. I was probing the headlight relay with a test light looking to hookup a DEI 528t timed relay so I could add headlight off delay to the truck and since that time the headlights will only come on with the ignition on.
It’s as though it’s not getting a ground at the relay,,behaving like if I had the lights on and the ignition gets turned off and the driver door gets opened which would normally kill the headlights automatically.
It’s behaving like that circuit never gets reset so the lights will just come on without having the key in the ignition as it did before.
But just so u know the driver door switch is working, cutting on the interior light as it always did.
I know that in this model if u leave the headlights on and turn key off, as soon as the driver door is opened it kills the headlights. This happens due to another relay or switching device killing the ground to the circuit at that time, but in my case I’m thinking the ground is never getting re-set ?
But I’m not sure what to test for to prove that theory?
I might add this truck is base model reg cab pre runner with standard push pull door locks and window cranks, no power etc.

Aw that puts a different view on the situation, you may have shorted or triggered so Give me some time to go over our wiring diagram to come up with some possibilities. Will be back on this evening as I am at work.

Ok and know that it is DRL and they work as they should.
Just apparently have no ground at the headlight relay to cut on the lights without the ign switch on !!
Ok look to hear from u this evening.
PS, if u wanna or need to call me that’s cool(###) ###-####but I’m not paying any additional funds just for a phone call !

In the process of helping you the sight may offer other services but that is just an option and not mandatory so we can continue texting. TALK TO YOU LATER.

Ok. Thanks
Also meant to say the driver door light kill circuit is still functioning for the parks, we just don’t get the headlights on in the ign off state as we did a few days ago.

Hello again, thanx for being so patient as I reviewed the wiring diagram You may have damaged a circuit within the body ECU but before we condemn that , I would like you to test these fuses with a test light or multi-meter on both sides . 10A IG1 No2, 20A DR LCK, 7.5A ECU-B, 10A IG1, THERE ARE ALSO 4 HEADLIGHT FUSES BUT THOSE SHOULD BE OK CONSIDERING THE LIGHTS WORK WHEN IGNITION TURNED ON. So I WOULD CHECK THOSE FUSES i MENTIONED PUT ALL THE PIECES BACK YOU WORKED ON TO ORIGINAL AND TRY THAT If that fails then consider replacing the body ECU. as all this goes through that module.

Peter, do not take my direct cander as my being snide or rude...I am a Mexhanic of 30+ yrs but I deal with small engines (2cycle) to be exact.
I know them like the back of my hand, I am a Master Tech!
I need you to tell me what the problem “is”. Not what it may be.
And the body Ecu has a transition relay in it that I suspect is the actual culprit but I paid you to tell me what the problem is not what “may” be wrong.
I can guess for free all day long !
If you don’t “know” for certain, pass this to another mechanic but we need to figure this out.
I need some help figuring this out ?
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician