Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I replaced a section of brake line on a 2001 Toyota Solara.

I have bled the brakes...
I replaced a section of brake line on a 2001 Toyota Solara. I have bled the brakes and there are no leaks, the brakes work, but the pedal goes almost to the floor before engaging.
JA: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?
Customer: The brakes will build pressure when the car is off, but when the car is on it does not.
JA: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I think the abs computer needs to be reset, but I don't know how to do it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO. Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2017
john
john, The Car Guy

did you bleed all 4 corners?

and no leaks? are all the caliper slides free?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No leaks. Reservoir is full. Flushed until Fluid came out clean. Calipers are functioning properly. ABS light is not on.

if all calipers are working and your getting straight Air at all 4 corners then the master failed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No air is coming out of the lines at any of the corners. The brakes work. They don't build pressure until the pedal is almost to the floor when the car is running.

if all the calipers are working as designed then the master cylinder has a internal failure

john
john, The Car Guy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the brakes hold pressure when the vehicle is off, meaning that when they are pumped the pedal no longer depresses, wouldn't that mean the master cylinder is functioning correctly? If the master cylinder has an internal failure/leak it should behave the same whether the vehicle is running or not, correct?
mike switzer

how did you bleed the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure I understand the question... I started with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder and ended with the closest. The brake fluid never went below the low mark. No rust came out of the lines and I bled the brakes until new fluid came out and there were no air bubbles in the plastic line. I used a bottle with a plastic line running above the caliper so that the air wouldn't back into the lines. As I mentioned earlier the master cylinder will pressurize the lines until the pedal won't go in any further while the vehicle is off.

did you pump the brake pedal and use pressure or just let it run out the line?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pumped the brakes and used pressure.

okay then you need to take it to toyota. the abs system is very finicky on these vehicle and most toyotas and there is a special bleed procedure for them that involes a scanner to be hooked up to perform the procedure.

john
john
john, The Car Guy