Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My brakes are not working well. No i didn't. Also i get

Customer Question
My brakes are not working...
My brakes are not working well
JA: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?
Customer: No i didn't. Also i get "Brake Malfunction" message in the display panel
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2008 toyota highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried basics, it didn't help. I took it to a shop, they mentioned about ABS module doesn't send any message, so i should take it to dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: VSC on light came once, and it cleared. After that brake malfunctions, if i slam the brake bunch of lights come on and car shut down.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also mechanic suggested to tow the car, as it is not safe to drive.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also when the engine is running, i hear a hissing sound around the brake pedal every time i press the brake.
11/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, there are a few possible causes for all the stated symptoms - faulty ABS control unit, faulty vacuum brake booster, short in the wiring harness.

A dealer will be best suited for proper diagnostics. Depending upon what is found, expect repair costs to be from $850 to $1600. $850 for booster and $1600 for control unit

They are correct that it is not considered safe to drive and should be towed to dealer

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Toyota dealership is not close to me. Does any other company like Meineke (claims they are specialized in ABS ), pep boys could do this job?

HI,

Meineke, Midas, Firestone, Goodyear are all able to. Pepboys does not have the best reputation in regards ***** ***** complex ABS systems.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager