Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Tacoma 2wd 2.4L. It started out as a fuel pump…

I have a 1996 Tacoma...
I have a 1996 Tacoma 2wd 2.4L. It started out as a fuel pump problem, pump was replaced and fixed the starting problem but gave an po336 code. Somehow at the shop it showed the code and the following were replaced: distributor, crankshaft position sensor and TPS. The check engine light was also disabled but the code still reads po336. The shop can not figure it out and ack like it is OK. Please help. Thanks Peter
10/31/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Does the engine run and idle ok? Was anything else replaced besides the fuel pump?

I don't see a correlation between the crank position sensor and the fuel pump unless for some reason the wire for the crank sensor got damaged or disconnected while the pump was replaced, did they check the position sensor wires and the connector.

This is pretty straightforward, the ECM is not getting a signal from the crank sensor but in that case the engine shouldn't even run, does it?

I put the distributor in before the fuel pump was changed and I think I got it one tooth off in the timing. The mechanic knew this but did not pass it on to other employees. I think the timing off got him to change the other parts. My original problem was when I drove 10 min or so It would not start until much cranking but always eventually start. The mechanic originally thought it was an electrical problem and I thought it was a fuel problem. I changed the distributor per his advice without any improvement. In hind sight the truck has 243000 on it and never had the fuel filter changed. So I think that it was a fuel problem that was corrected and the electrical now. The truck starts well. When first started it stalls easily and like at a stop sign will stall and restarts well. When warm it seems better. Seems to accelerate ok.

H​as the basic engine timing been checked, it does seem like the timing may be off.

Was the timing issue corrected?

They said they checked the timing " and maybe changed it one tooth" with rechecking the distributor placement, he told me. At one point i got it back they disabled the check engine light and it was running fast at idle with idle screw backed off. They told me to take it and see how it is. I took it back b/c fast idle. now the idle is more normal when it is warm.
Still has P0336 code.

There is still a problem with timing and I think they are not being honest with you.

this engine also has a camshaft position sensor, the computer compares both signals from the crank sensor and the cam sensor and if they don't correlate it turns the check engine light on. It's very simple, the computer sees a problem with the timing, maybe the distributor is still off, maybe they can't get it in the right position, I don't know but the best advice I can give you is to take it somewhere else and start over with the P0336 code.

I worked on cars long ago. Is the timing on the truck only mechanical and can it be adjusted like the old distributors? Do you need a timing light to correctly time the engine?

I​ don't think there is a slotted mounting hole to move the distributor at all, the timing is adjusted by the computer based on input signals like the cam and crank sensors, however the distributor can be installed a tooth off. A strobe light is needed to check the timing and it can also be done using a diagnostic OBD2 scantool to read timing advance and other live data.

If it turns out to be the timing is there then a fee or how does that work.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "fee"

Further charge.

No you can reply as many times as you wish without additional charges.

How much am I charged this session?

I'm not familiar with what you are charged it's usually a deposit which is refundable, you may want to contact customer service for more details, I'm just here on my computer answering questions that are posted and not involved with any part of administration of the site.

Ok, Thank You for your info. I hope that the timing is all it is. Thanks Peter

You're welcome and good luck.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech