Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1989 Toyota pickup. 22RE engine. Water pump/alternator belt…

1989 Toyota pickup. 22RE engine...
1989 Toyota pickup. 22RE engine. Water pump/alternator belt keeps breaking. Something is locking up but after the belt is broken everthing turns fine. How can I tell if it is water pump or alternator? There seems to be some play on the water pump pulley. I can move it slightly.
10/27/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If you are popping belts, then the issue that you are having is going to be, in my opinion, the bearings in the water pump. The tensions that is applied to the pump from the belt, is the reason why you are having this component lock up. Without the tension, it doesn't lock up. I see that you have play in the pump pulley. There should be no play in the pulley, which is another indication that this component has failed. If you put tension on the pulley while turning it with your hand, you will likely feel the tension that is the cause of the issue. Also, be sure to inspect the alternator, just in case, but if you are getting play in the pump, then you are going to end up replacing this pump. Here, I am attaching replacement information for your pump.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Todd. You confirmed my suspicions. There is probably 1/32 or more movement when I lift up on the pulley. I applied tension by pulling on a fan blade and there is a definite difference when turning the pulley. Thanks again for your prompt and helpful reply

No problem. You are very welcome. I am always happy to help. Thank you for the rating.