Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My alternator isn't charging my battery. Had the alternator…

Customer Question
My alternator isn't charging...

My alternator isn't charging my battery. Had the alternator tested but it still passes, fuse for the charging system isn't blown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yeah, haven't changed them recently at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000 toyota sienna xle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing it myself, I'm just curious as to what it might be if the alternator still works and thr fuse isn't blown

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Did you have the alternator test while it was in the car or did you remove it and took it somewhere to have tested?

when the engine is running is the battery light on the dash on?

the battery light is on. Had it taken to o reily and tested
No phone call btw posting here is fine

Call is not necessary

Is the alternator back in the car?

Do you have a voltmeter?

It shut off while it was running and the red bartery light came on. Took the alternator out to get it tested. And it still works. They said it might be a fuse but the fuse hasn't blown. That's all I know. IM currently putting it back

P​ersonally, I don't believe in bench testing an alternator because it is not under actual load conditions and in most cases not accurate. When you get it installed start the engine check voltage at the battery, it should be close to 13 volts or a little more, if you have no voltmeter, remove the negative battery cable while it's running, the engine should keep running an the alternator alone.