Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I changed my spark plugs, wires and coil. Now my car is

I changed my spark...

I changed my spark plugs, wires and coil. Now my car is emitting a thick white smoke.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

145,000 and I don't know when the spark plugs were changed. Just bought it in August

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1998 Toyota Corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I want to fix it myself. I have yet to try anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There was oil in the sparkplug wells so maybe the seals are the issue

10/26/2017
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. I have a few questions:

1) Does the smoke have a somewhat sweet smell? or a very foul smell?

2) Was it smoking at all before you replaced the spark plugs?

3) besides the smoking, is it running and driving perfectly fine?

1) it smells pretty foul
2) It never smoked before I replaced the sparkplugs
3)Yes, it drives perfectly fine but I've been hesitant because of the smoke

Ok. the foul smell would likely indicate that you are burning oil. Usually oil is blue or grayish white. How long have you ran it while it was smoking?

I think what happened is, your valve cover gasket is leaking oil into the spark plug tube ( extremely common). When you removed the spark plug, the oil inside the tube ran into the cylinder and now just needs to be burned off. Check to make sure also that your spark plug wires are routed correctly. I assume they are since you said it's running good, but check anyway. Here's a diagram showing the spark plug wire routing to the coils.

SPARK PLUG

A maximum of 15 minutes. The smell might just be foul to me. I have a sensitive nose. But the smoke is definitely white.

looks like we sent our messages at the same time. see my message just before your message.

should I replace the valve seals?

I would suggest replacing the valve cover gasket if my suspicion is correct. The gasket has little rubber rings that go around the spark plug tubes in the valve cover and they get hard and stop sealing, causing oil to leak into the tube. If you noticed spark plugs with oil on them upon removal then youll have to replace the gaskets and rings to resolve that. The rings come in the gasket kit.

Thank you for your help!

you're welcome.

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician