Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2007 Camry v6 with a 150k..my check engine light

Customer Question
came on brought it to...
I have a 2007 Camry v6 with a 150k..my check engine light came on brought it to my mechanic and said ignition coil 6 misfired..so I had him replace all 6 coils and spark plugs. Drove the car for a day and check engine light came on again saying misfire in 6. Replaced all the fuel injectors and number 6 coil..check engine light came on again and still says misfire in #6
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
10/21/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

After picking the car up form the mechanic did it run normally until the next day when this happened again?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It ran fine for a day, then light came on again

Thanks for the reply

Does it idle ok now or idle rough?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Idles rough and sputters on accleration

Are you going back to the shop/same mechanic again?, I have couple of suggestions of things to check.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im done with the mechanic..suggestions please

No problem, here is what should be checked:

The wiring harness for the injectors as well as the injector connector for broken /loose wires to the connector, the wiring insulation as well. If that's ok then the injector pulse voltage using a special test light plugged into the connector. the injector is turned on and off by a signal from the computer, it may be losing this signal and the injector won't cycle. If there is a problem of no signal voltage there may be a problem with the wiring or the computer itself has the problem, that's not usually the case but it's possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mechanic said the blue wire on the connector that goes into the ignition coil #6 voltage should be 4.9 goes back and forth form 4.9 to 0 if that makes sense

I'll have to check a wiring diagram and get back to you in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay

All coils were replaced? Do you have the exact code number for the misfire?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0306
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be a bad ECM?

Thanks that's the correct code for the #6 cylinder, there should be onw qire (red) with constant 12 volts, the white/black is ground, the other two are signal wires from the computer and the voltage will fluctuate while the engine is running.

yes it could be that but I would still like to confirm injector pulse voltage. The code is not for a bad coil/igniter, a bad igniter circuit would have a different code specific for the igniter which is part of the coil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can i get a single connector harness for coil 6? Would that dix it

Is there a broken wire on that connector?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The connector clip is broken that locks into the ignition coil but i have it zip tied on...it doesnt move..my mechanic had said that one of the wires wasnt putting out the voltage it needed...would a reflash fix it?

Toyota has no reflash procedures for this model, it is normally done only when a service bulletin is issued for a specific problem. In other words only when the factory has authorized a re flash with specific instructions.

I doubt that Toyota has just the connector, you can check with the parts department, they usually replace the engine wire look part for the coils.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about resetting the pcm doing it by diconnecting the negative on the battery

Doing that will clear the code, I assume the mechanic did that after replacing the coils/plugs, it will just turn on again with the same problem, it may stay off for a while.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech