Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gunned the engine passing at 40mph and had 'check engine,

Gunned the engine passing...

Gunned the engine passing at 40mph and had 'check engine, light come on with 'traction control' light, and 'inspect hybrid system' warning message on the dash along with master triangle exclamation icon. Car runs, just no EV system engagement... any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No, getting codesread ffriday but want to know if anyone else haf this and 2, is it safe to drive... it's my only vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2010 prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, just cycled 3 startups and trac control light went off having mechanic fix if i can find one. not thrilled with dealer repais in the past

10/16/2017
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Did the yellow check engine light start to flash? Are you noticing any loss of power and is the hybrid battery still being charged?

How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you have the vehicle identification number available? Do you have a code reader that will check generic codes from the engine computer?

no loss of power but only taken it to 50mph. It seems to excel fine, maybe a bit hesitant if anything. No lights flash.
The Brake syst warning and trac control lights went out after 3 restarts but check engine and master triangle w/exclamation still on with dash warning message of check hybrid system
253k on vehicle
hybrid dash system shows a full battery but no activity and not engaged while driving

The other warning lights including the hybrid battery light and the tracks control and ABS light will illuminate by default whenever the check engine light comes on however if a malfunction occurred in the hybrid system it will then trigger the check engine light which will then trigger the other subsystem warning lights. We need to know what the code is set in the engine control computer in most states except California New York and Virginia they do free code reads at your local parts store. If you can get me that code number I can assist you further. Otherwise provided the check engine light did not start to flash you should be fine to drive in the short term provided the hybrid battery is being charged up if it stops charging then you will need to stop driving. If you're not concerned about the code numbers as a test you could remove the 12 V battery cable ends from the battery and touch them together (isolated from the battery posts) for about 10 minutes that will clear the memory and all the computers and reset the system. If no warning lights come on for the initial couple of drives it's possible it could just be an emissions related failure. If they come back on immediately then you will need to get the codes red and get back to me.

OK. code check coming on friday. how do i return to ask you about them?

post them back to this posting as you have been doing do not open another question.

Great. catch you Friday i hope. Is anyone available saturday as a altrenative?

Just reply to me I usually monitor on and off during the weekend.

You should be up to go to your account and link to this thread as you have been. If I don't get back to you right away I will usually check in the evening most of the time.

Thank you. I will!

OK

OK, ...te code is P0A80
i hear its the hybrid battery. What's the warranty on those, can it be replaced without costing me more than the car is worth? 1.6k left on loan.
they cleared code and has not returned yet...hybrid system is functioning and showing battery being charged. Can it be a random thing or a greater indicator of eventual failure? I know it has alot of miles and not giving me the mileage it used to... was 54mpg now 41, but?

This code that you have unfortunately means that one of the battery cells is below minimum threshold compared to the rest of the battery cells. There are 14 blocks consisting of two cells per block. One of those cells is not maintaining a charge within 3/10 of a volt of the rest of the cells. There's a chance that if you have a generic code reader you continue the clear the codes and let the thing run its pace it's possible that you could drive this for a while before having to replace the battery. Somme guys take the batteries out and rebuild him because they have additional cells laying around. You can probably get a used one from the junkyard for about $500 but you're not gonna get much of a guarantee with it. From Toyota they're getting in the neighborhood of $2500 for the battery plus labor aftermarket places sell remanufactured ones for about $1500 as I recall. If you need any other information about this code feel free to reply and I'll get back to you. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the information that I provided to you today at three or higher.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician