Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited. 160k mikes. Never any

2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited....
2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited. 160k mikes. Never any problems. My wife loves the truck and wants to keep driving it.
Weird problem cropped up today with the audio system (it's integrated with Nav and we have rear DVD too). For every audio input (am, fm, sat, AUX) - the sound is "wavy" and unitelligible. Volume, tuning, etc work but the sound is similar -- as best I can describe it -- to an AM radio "between stations" if that makes sense.
Can we save this? Is it the amplifier? What's our next step?
Thank you.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/16/2017
john
john, The Car Guy

sounds like a bad amplifier thats where i would start do you need instructions on replacement

Thank you. I guess that's a more hopeful diagnosis than needing to replace the head unit, right?Have you seen this sort of sudden failure before?I'm pretty doubtful that I could do the amp myself but I would be interested in your assessment of whether it's a DIY job? Also any idea of the part numbers needed?

does it have a JBL system by chance?

It looks just like this one:
http://www.cd4car.com/2008-2010-toyota-highlander-jbl-navigation-gps-bluetooth-radio-xm-am-fm-mp3-cd-player-touch-screen/

does it have the sub woofer

there is a tsb for distortion with a updated speaker

If it was available for the 2008 Highlander limited then it's on our car. We got everything. However, what we are hearing isn't distortion.
Yikes. That looks like about an $800 part new. Would something like this work if I can find somebody to do the work?
https://picclick.com/TOYOTA-HIGHLANDER-OEM-Factory-Radio-Stereo-Amplifier-Premium-172821938559.html

yeah they are not cheap that looks like it would work ...i would doble check wwith them

you can also try www.car-part.com

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

john
john, The Car Guy
Thank you, John. I will probably have some follow up. Meanwhile I'm happy to give a five star rating. Thanks for working with me on a Sunday.
One more for tonight ... is the amp under the driver seat or passenger? Thank you.

im showing driver

john
john
john, The Car Guy