Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I am having a what started out as a speedometer issue with

Hello,I am having a what...
Hello,I am having a what started out as a speedometer issue with my vehicle.I have a 1996 4runner 2WD w/ ABS.A few weeks ago I made a short trip to the store, then after starting the vehicle and leaving I noticed the speedometer was not working. All other gauges are working as normal. A few minutes later a P0500 CEL was generated. I researched this as the "Vehicle speed sensor malfunction" and tried some of the procedures in the FSM to resolve it. The only speed sensor I have found is on the transmission labelled as the "No. 2 Vehicle speed sensor". I cleaned the electrical connection to it and tested the resistance to be within spec. After I cleaned it the CEL went away immediately and then returned a day later. After reading more about it I determined that this speed sensor was more for the ECU to determine proper gear shifting and not so much for speedometer function.Next I turned my attention to the ABS since the dash light has been illuminated since I bought it due to a severed right front ABS wire. Many people have told me that this vehicle gets speed info from the ABS and not a lone speed sensor. I tried pulling ABS codes by jumping the Tc + E1 terminals in the diagnostic port and I get no ABS light, and the cruise control light and airbag lights flash continuously. I read a post where a someone had a similar issue and found it to be a short in the Tc circuit since that circuit connect the ABS ecu, Cruise control ecu, and the Airbag sensor assembly. That post did not contain any details on where they had the problem. I have inspected as much of that circuit as possible and tested continuity between the Abs ecu and the Tc terminal as well and the cruise control and the Tc terminal. I haven't found anything wrong with the Tc circuit and its driving me a little nuts. Some have suggested replacing the ABS ecu but I want to make sure that's the problem before replacing it. And lastly I have cleaned every ground I can get my hands on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is a youtube video I took of the flashing dash lights. https://youtu.be/J2xX0b1Xncs
Answered in 1 day by:
10/14/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

There is actually another speed sensor (speed sensor#1) it is built into the speedometer, the computer receives a square wave input signal from it, if this signal is missing or corrupted the speedo does not send the required info to the ECM and this turns the light on. The speedo assembly is replaceable by itself. You may want to consider taking it to a shop that can read live data for the speed sensor to the ECM, if there is no signal replace the speedo assembly. This condition will also cause the abs and skid control systems to stop functioning or at least turn those lights on as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for replying. Square wave data is not really an option where I live. Even if the speedo is malfunctioning, shouldn't I still be able to pull ABS codes? Is there anything I can do to the speedo itself?

Thanks for the reply, it would seem that there should be some codes in the ABS/skid control system, is the check engine light on now, can you get any codes for it?

Check the speed sensor on the transmission, remove it and attach a voltmeter across the two electrical terminals, pass a metal object like a screwdriver back and forth about 1/8" from the magnet of the sensor, this should produce a small voltage variation of between zero and .5 volts. If this is ok the problem is the speedo or the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a broken abs wire on the front right wheel. I always have an abs code stored for that. This weird problem with the diagnostic port is causing the abs light to go out instead of reporting abs codes and flash those other lights when jumping the Tc + e1 terminals. Is there a more ABS specific terminal I could jump with E1? Im pretty sure I should still be able to pull abs codes even if the speedo has died. The only CEO codes I have are the P0500 for the No.2 speed sensor.

O​k, I'm going to check what the terminals are to get abs codes.

Try jumping between TC and CG in the check connector (DLC3) at left side dash.

I think it may be a good idea to fix that broken wire or the wheel speed sensor, if the wire is plugged on with a connector you can just replace the wire,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ted, this rabbit hole just gets deeper.
I tried jumping the TC and CG terminals on the OBDII port only to find that there is nothing on the CG terminal for my vehicle. That said, I also tried to pull CEL codes this morning to confirm the P0500. I am getting no power at the OBDII port for my blue tooth reader. Which is strange because it was working normal yesterday. I use it everyday with my torque pro app to monitor coolant temperature and rpms etc. It won't even power up today.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I think I was wrong about the OBD port. I think the terminal are just really wide and allowed my paper clip to go all the way through. In any event it blew the 7.5A OBD fuse. I will look at the codes again as soon as I get another fuse. I definitely wont be jumping those two terminals again.

O​k, with the new fuse in and if the reader can get abs codes you should be getting something because that wire on one of the sensors is broken, That may be all that's wrong with it since the computer also gets wheel speed information for traction control/abs in conjunction with the transmission speed sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the BAFX OBDII reader and it does not read ABS codes. I have had an active abs code since purchase of the vehicle and never had a problem with the speedometer or jumping abs codes from the diagnotic port in the engine bay. I did replace the fuse and immediately retrieved the p0500 CEL.I tried unplugging the cruise control then jumping the Tc e1 terminals. The cruise light does not illuminate, the airbag continues to flash constantly. This tells me disconnected components simply don't show on the dash when jumping the Tc e1. That is why I originally thought there was a wiring problem between the ABS ecu and the Tc terminal in the diagnostic port but the continuity checks and I have not been able to access the entire length of the wire. So my main focus has been "why does the abs light not show up during Tc e1 jumping?". I'm curious if the wire is grounding out somewhere along it's length.I apologize for rambling. I do appreciate your help. I may not be able to do much until tomorrow.

No problem, does the abs/skid control light turn on when the key is turned on and then go off after starting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ABS stays illuminated at all times. The only time it goes out is when jumping the Tc e1.

It goes out and the others start blinking( cruise control, vsc etc? If that's the case you have the right terminals connected, could be an open circuit between the abs computer or the computer itself, the computer causes the light to blink when it's jumped like this or it stays on when there is a fault detected after the engine starts. There may be a short to ground in the wire from the light to the computer or the abs computer has the problem. From jumping the TC and E1 the computer should enter diagnostic mode, it sounds like that's not happening. You may end up replacing the abs computer which is not uncommon on these models.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is my current theory. This model does not have VSC but the later 01 and 02 models do. I just don't even know how the ABS ecu could have died. The ABS system has never functioned due to the broken sensor wire. I guess I can open it up to see if I get lucky and stumble upon a blown capacitor.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Although I suppose the Speed sensor could be broken as well but I will test it before making that determination.

T​hat doesn't look good, anyway, there you go looks like moisture got in there and caused corrosion.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its possible but I believe the 100uf 50v capacitor in that spot ejected its guts all over the place. I had the exact same thing happen to the main ECU almost a year ago. Plus I can see that the bottom end cap has broken open. This tropical environment is hell on the electronics. It will be a while before I can get a replacement part out here to the island. Thank you for letting me bounce around ridiculous ideas about shorted wires.

You're very welcome and please take a moment to rate my help positively, thanks and best of luck.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech