Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We done a tune up spark plugs and oil, then we tried

Customer Question
We done a tune up...
We done a tune up spark plugs and oil , then we tried starting the 2006 Toyota Corolla and it didn’t start no noise at all
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 3 months ago
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ignition switch/ starting fuse / starter battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. As we do proceed you may have a service offered to you by this sight which is just to inform you these are available and under no obligation. But I may suggest one if I feel it will be beneficial.

Does the engine crank over and not catch or does it not even crank over?

No it doesn’t I took starter out and took it to get check and it’s good
No
what do think
Are u there

So it does not turn over and starter has been checked ok?

Have you checked all fuses yet and done a starter draw test -- turn head lights on and turn key to start and observe if the lights stay bright or dim out.

they on bright

Ok have you checked the fuses?

there all good

After you have checked and confirmed all fuses are ok then locate the relay, should be in the main fuse block under hood, and marked on the cover starter relay.

Don’t have 15 more

did you locate the starter relay?

I bought a new and nothing it’s under the dashboard

ok u seem to be one step ahead of me so far. Have you got a test light or multi -meter?

Both
I also bought a ignition switch

Ok LETS CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR GETTING THE RIGHT POWER SIGNALS TO THAT RELAY AS THAT RELAY SENDS THE SIGNAL DOWN TO THE STARTER SOLENOID WIRE.

iS YOUR VEHICLE AN AUTOMATIC OR STANDARD TRANSMISSION?

Automatic

Before we start getting into these tests, have you tried holding the key in the start position and wiggling the shiftier in and out of park , then in neutral? Make sure ur foot is holding down on the brake pedal when trying this.

I did that

good you seem to have done all the tricks so far good for you. So then you must understand the principles of how the relays work then?

what other test should I do to figure this out?

What you need to do is remove the relay and check for two power souces, one will be constant and the other only powers up when key turns in the start position. Do that check and let me know your findings. If you wish to proceed tomorrow let me know.

Which relay

The starter relay.

Ok I’ll check it tomorrow morning again/ this happened just doing an oil change
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He didn’t help solve my problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi the Toyota cranks but it still doesn’t strat
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago

ok now it cranks so we can now determine is it is spark or fuel. Try spraying starter fluid into intake as you try to start and see if it kicks or tries to start, let me know .

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician