Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

05 Toyota tundra 4.7 4door will turn over if l jump the

Customer Question
05 Toyota tundra 4.7...

05 Toyota tundra 4.7 4door will turn over if l jump the relay but not with the key. check ignition switch and have current coming out on the start position checked neutral safety switch current coming in and out. put starting fluid in the intake and won,t start so l know l,m not getting spark also. computer fuse was blown,replaced it . got another computer from junkyard with same numbers and still doesn,y work when pulling scan tool in says no communication with computer. this the same with both computors installed. check all fuses and ok. check 2 main fuses ib fuse box and they are ok any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

L can turn ignition switch on and turn steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes everything that l have explain to you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/5/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago
Ivan Alvarez

I am going to need your vin number to look over some wiring diagrams. Also did this happen all of a sudden or was it a intermittent problem?

vin number 5tbdt44135s474931 produc tion date 10/04 also abs motor runs all the time even with key off this happen all at once
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

O​k I'm going to look over some wiring and will get back to you. Put the original pcm back in to do some testing.

Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

When you mentioned the computer fuse being blown what is the fuse labeled as and where is it located?

the fuse was located under hood in main fusebox ign -1
I also locked doors and unlocked doors to make sure theft system was disarmed
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok once you have the original pcm back in let me know.

prom is back in
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok on the data link connector check for a good ground on the white/black wire and battery voltage on the yellow wire. Let me know what you find there.

white wire with red stripe 12volt yellow wire with green stripe no ground plain white wire has nothing
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago
Are you checking the connector where you kook up the scan tool? Those wire colors don't match the wiring diagram. Its a 16 pin connector with a total of 10 wires to it.
I,m on scan tool plug under dash beside gas pedal 16 terminal found white with black good ground white wire has a redstripe in it has 12 volt yellow wire with green strip no voltage
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you see a solid yellow wire on that connector?

no just a yellow wire with a strip
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok check obd fuse 7.5 amp. Its located in the interior fuse box.

it has 12 volt going across it
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok the first thing that we need to do is establish communication with pcm. Go back to the data link connector and look for small numbers on the pin locations. On pin 16 you should have voltage. Pin 4 is where the white with black strip is at which should be a constant ground. You need both ground and power for the scan tool to try and communicate.

Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

O​nce you have confirmed a good power and ground on the pins I mentioned and if its still does not communicate we can move on to test powers and grounds to pcm its self.

l can,t find numbers on back of plug what color wire is number 16
Toyota Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

T​ry looking on the front. they are real small. According to the wiring diagram its supposed to be solid yellow.

l have power and good ground
thanks for trying l called the dealer to come pick it up
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician