Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Highlander Ltd. Navigation system, sound system/radio,

Customer Question
2012 Highlander Ltd....

2012 Highlander Ltd. Navigation system, sound system/radio, rear camera, heat, all controls non-responsive after battery replacement. I'm not even sure the DVD is in the slot. Consol is black and just reads "insert DVD". I took it to the Toyota dealer service center, and the guy said I had to find a DVD to put in there. I don't believe I took it out (but I'm not 100% sure). I've read elsewhere that others have had the same issue with Toyota Siennas. After battery disconnect and/or replacement, even with the original DVD, the system wouldn't respond. One person on thread said to pull the radio fuse in the engine. (not sure if he replaced it with new one or just removed and put same one back in). I don't want to have to buy a whole new system at several hundred dollars. By way of background, I bought the car second hand in 2016. The navigation map cut out about six months after I bought it, but since we use Waze or Google maps, it didn't matter. Everything else continued to work until my battery died and we replaced it Monday. 10/2/17 I hope I'm not SOL. Thanks for any tips.

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides the radio, are any other circuits affected?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but as I said, everything else with the large consol nav system is out. The small consol showing gas mileage and temp etc. above on dash still works.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I took it to dealer service for battery and new tires. I didn't know that the nav system et al. would be dead. When I picked it up, it was.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car drives fine. It just has no electronics vis a vis sound system, navigation, or heat controls. and rear camera

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
10/6/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I erad your notes and have a question before we proceed

Do you know if your radio unit has anti theft ? I would in the mean time check all the fuse-able -links in the main fuse block under the hood. these are the high ampere square fuses.

In the mean time I will check some wiring diagrams at work tomorrow and get back to you.

Thank you Peter.
I don't believe there is an anti theft device or otherwise. I was going to try pulling a fuse or two to make sure they are secure and/or see if unplugging, then plugging them back in helps. I have ordered a $30 "2017 Update" to the Toyota navigation disc from Ebay so I have something to try to load into the DVD slot. I don't have great expectations that this will get me back in action, but it's more than I have now. I apparently have lost or thrown out the original DVD that came with the car. Unless it's still in the slot, which I don't think it is. (I had no idea that if one removed a map DVD [that didn't work anyways] from the console that it would crash the whole system after a new battery was installed.]
I have been super busy at work, so I haven't really had time to look at the car closely. Plan to this weekend.
thanks

So what your saying is that nothing works on your stereo unit no AM or FM , no cd or nav? Does it turn on at all and just no sound? What unit do you have , is there a number on the face plate?

Right, no AM/FM radio, no cd or nav, or rearview camera. Does not turn on at all. No sound. The only sound I get is a beep when I depress right side "Tune/File" knob. Says "Push Audio" below knob.
Contrary to what I said before, I do have AC and heat. I misspoke on those.
I have pictures I can send you, but the info I have on the system is that it's JBL, WMA, MP3. There's also a small number on the frame of the large console screen that says E7033, whatever that means.
The manufacturers, as you probably already know, are Denso Corp (c) 2010, NAVTEQ (c) 2009, Tele Atlas North America (c) 2010
p.s. I took a look at the fuses over the weekend and they were all in tact.

So you said you checked all the fuses? just the regular fuses or did you also check the fuse-able-links? these are the large square fuses under the hood in the main fuse block, they are high ampere ones that supply power to a large circuit.look into the clear covers on each of them for a break or discoloration. Let me know what you find there.

Eureka! I finally received my $30 2017 map update DVD from Ebay and stuck it in, and it booted up and restored the radio and sound system as well as the rear camera. So I'm back in action. I wasn't optimistic this would work, because it seemed too easy and low cost. But I'll take it.
Thanks for your input. Maybe next time I'll have something more worthwhile.
Regards,
Andrew

awesome congratulations ,something so simple and affordable , good for you.