Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 2013 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew cab. Trying to improve mpg,

Customer Question
Have a 2013 Tundra...

Have a 2013 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew cab. Trying to improve mpg, just purchased TRD CAI. Any suggestions on programmers or tuners

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?

Should receive the TRD CAI tomorrow and will install then. O2 sensors are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will install the TRD CAI myself

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

They use tuners to monkey with the intake and temp and will give a little the better performance but there are some downsides to that. I usually don't recommend messing with the optimum fuel efficiency of the computer with tuners. Just doing the trd air filter will help. You also need to know that you using these type air filters that over time the oil will contaminate the mass airflow sensor resistors about once every year or two you need to clean the mass airflow sensor so that it does not get contaminated. The charcoal carbon filter in the top lid of the air box will help with that but you still need to check it if you're going to use these type of filters.

I have answered and worked with the lot of customers on here that have tried to install these tuners and it usually creates more problems than what it's worth. This truck is not to get much more than 15 or 16 miles to the gallon a good day anyway. It's just not worth the risk.. Toyota has done a lot of engineering to maximize the fuel efficiency due to the regulations and if EPA standards