Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a '97 Camry 1MZ-FE engine. Rough Idle, Top End

Customer Question
I have a '97...

I have a '97 Camry 1MZ-FE engine. Rough Idle, Top End Knocking at number two cylinder, loss of power, unburnt oil on number 2 spark plug, PO300 code - Cylinder 2 and 3 misfire. Engine burns a good deal of oil. All cylinders getting good spark. Lost power on freeway and limped home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It is consistant.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried new coils and see good spark when number two is out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just hope he has seen this before.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

Engine burns a lot of oil is not a good sign.

Adjacent cylinders misfiring points to a possible head gasket failure.

Could be time for an engine swap.

Can you conduct a compression test please?

Gary

For a compression test I will need to do that tommorow. I thought number 3 was on the back side not in front with 2.

Hi Dean,

Ah yes it is a V6.

1,3 and 5 is the front bank, 2, 4 and 6 is the back bank.

So please still do your compression test.

Did this just suddenly happen?

How many miles, and when was the last timing belt job done?

Gary

The car has 173,000 miles and I was purchase used so I don't know if the timing belt has been changed out. I see no labels indicating a timing belt change. The knocking is in the top of the front bank on the left side. The layout I saw showed 2, 4, and 6 in front and 1,3, and 5 in the rear. Loss of power seems to indicate loss of compression but I would need to see tommorow. The engine idles and runs rough like a cylinder is not working along with the knock.