Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need help fixing 2008 scion tc clutch problems. i have…

Customer Question
Hello, i need help fixing...
Hello, i need help fixing 2008 scion tc clutch problems. i have replaced slave cylinder and master cylinder, it has new clutch, plate and flywheel. pedal still soft, and i bleed many times but make a noise like has air in master cylinder. i don't know how to take out the air from master cylinder and pedal stay half way.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 10 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting,

I will try to help you with this, just a couple of questions first please:

Are you getting any more air out of the system?

When looking at the lave cylinder have someone push the pedal all the way down does the slave cylinder rod move the clutch release arm an inch or more?

Does the transmission make a grinding noise when trying to put it in first gear?

Is not coming air out the system. Slave cylinder push the clutch but looks like is not enough to disengage. Move like one inch no more. Transmission does not make any noise. Gears get in fine when engine is off.
May be half inch... im not sure.

Ok, thanks for the reply, that is not enough to release the clutch. when pushing on the pedal does it feel like it does down a lot before you feel resistance from the master cylinder?

How did you bleed the air out?

you are right, pedal feel exacly as you describe. To bleed, with help, push pedal all to the floor 3 times stay there and i open bleed screw in slave cyl. I did that until i dont see any air.

I​ hate to say this but it sounds like the problem may be the master cylinder or the connecting link from the pedal to the cylinder, was it doing this same thing before the clutch was replaced?

but old clutch has broken spring plastic support. So i replace it any way.
I replace master cyl 2 times.

I​ didn't know you replaced it twice. If there is no more air in it then it has to be a mechanical problem. Make sure the pushrod on the pedal is adjusted so that it makes contact with the piston in the master cylinder when the pedal is all the way up.

The master cyl is new, but make little noise like pssst, looks like still air in it, i dont know how take out that air

T​o bleed the air out keep the master cylinder full of fluid, you need a helper to pump the pedal, you can open and close the valve on the slave cylinder. Have the helper pump the pedal until there is resistance all the way down, open the valve, air and fluid should come out, repeat this about 6 or seven times or until no more air comes out at the slave cylinder.