Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Tried to start 2010 prius II this morning. Check hybrid

Customer Question
Tried to start 2010...

Tried to start 2010 prius II this morning. Check hybrid system message came up. All lights worked properly. Could not over ride to start under power by going to accessories mode, parking brake on and holding start button and brake for 15 seconds as manual recommends. Need to get vehicle to Toyota, do I have to have it towed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

No to both.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing myself beyond basic maintenance. Just tried starting and overriding to power to get to work. had to take another vehicle. Did recently have a problem where I checked oil at the gas station and it was completely out. No warning lights! Added a quart still no level. ITook it to Toyota They filled and said bring it back in 1200 miles and we would see if it was burning oil.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

It hard to say what exactly is going on since the check hybrid warning comes up for just about anything on this car.

Most likely what has happened is the hybrid battery has detected a fault somewhere. Most of the time that means the power inverter has failed.

If that is the case then the over-ride won't work and the vehicle will need to be towed.

Please let me know if you need additional info.