Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Toyota tundra giving me an p1780 troubl e

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Toyota tundra giving me an p1780 troubl e code. A mechanic I know told me it was a faulty neutral safety switch. I replaced the switch with brand new one, cleared the code bit it comes back on a after. I start it and shift into drive 2 times. I need t clear this co. So it will pass smog. I'm at whits end on this problem need advice

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

NO LEAKS HAS 200.000 PN IT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced. Nuetral safety/

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The drivers q i

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes , some people and tech's seem to think by just pulling codes and replacing parts that it will automatically solve the problems. I n some cases they get lucky and it does but not all the time as the codes merely point us in the direction or area of fault, then we have to do more tests and checks in that circuit to pin point the fault. In your case this is the thing that has to be done now.

DTC

P1780

Park/Neutral Position Switch Malfunction

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The park/neutral position switch comes on when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position. When it comes

on, terminal NSW of the ECM is grounded to the body ground via the starter relay, thus the terminal NSW

voltage

becomes 0 V. When the shift lever is in the D, 2, L or R position, the park/neutral position switch goes

off, so the voltage of terminal NSW becomes battery voltage the voltage of the ECM internal power source.

If the shift lever is moved from the N position to the D position, this signal is used for air–fuel ratio correction

and for idle speed control (estimated control), etc

Depending on your skill level there are some further checks and tests that need to be done as you can see, are you capable of doing these or would you just like an idea what and where to start?

to both ur questions. Please guide me in the right direction
I very much appreciate ur help.

You can first try the starter relay by simply swaping out with one that is similar that is already in the main fuse block under the hood that you can live without just for test purposes , cancel code and try that. If that works replace the relay . If it don't let me know then I will pull up wiring diagram and we can start checking together.

T h banks ill do that.
I don't have the truck with me now. I will call u this afternoon. Hop e fully u will still be available.

leave the info when you can and I will review it when I get on tomorrow.

I changed my starter re lay. No help

Ok check the power source at the relay , there should be two. One will be constant and the other comes when you activate the ignition switch, let me know what you find.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician