Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My pesky problem with my 2007 Rav4 2.4L is that after a

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, my pesky...

Hi Pearl, my pesky problem with my 2007 Rav4 2.4L is that after a while of driving through soft, chopped up beach sand the rear drive coupling overheats and disengages drive to the rear wheels. I can wait 5 or 10 mins. and all is good again - for a while. On "normal" sand it's OK. Thanks for your time, Jerzy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

It's not an engine problem, engine temp. stays where it belongs, it's just the rear wheel drive coupling dropping out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried to fix anything, it's only a nuisance problem that only occurs when driving on soft sand.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 10 months ago
john
john, The Car Guy

has the viscous coupler been checked they are a common failure on the older rav 4s

No, I was under the impression that this coupler was electrically operated.

are you getting any warning lights?

No, the 4WD indicator light just blinks out and I can feel immediately the rear wheel traction has been lost, and yes I do keep it under the 40Kph dropout limit.

are you sure its just not sensing slip and kicking traction control?

No, after I have lost rear traction, the 4WD indicator light will not illuminate when I press the 4WD lock button until a certain amount of time has passed, even if I turn the engine off, then on again. When the 4WD indicator light illuminates again I have 4WD back again, again this only happens when driving in soft sand.

i cant seem to open up my software to access diagrams..im going to open this up for other experts

Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 10 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Please allow me to add some input here. Perhaps it is best if I explain the 2007 RAV/4 4WD system: The vehicle is a front wheel drive vehicle almost all of the time. When the front tires spin (lose traction), the transaxle/transfer case unit sends power to the rear wheels. This is all that there is to the system. The 4 LOCK button causes all 4 wheels to turn at the same RPM (to only assist in getting out of a stuck condition). The 4 LOCK button is not meant to be used when driving; the system will sense this thru speedometer signals and disengage the 4 LOCK choice. This is done by design. The "4WD" system in a RAV/4 is not like a Jeep Wrangler or similar vehicle that is designed to have off road capability. The RAV/4 system is part-time at best. Based on what you have stated, the system is working normally. I cannot suggest any possibility do rectify the condition you are experiencing, as the unit is operating as designed. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply,