Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mr. Victor, are you really out there? Oh you are showing up…

Customer Question
Hello Mr. Victor, are...

Hello Mr. Victor, are you really out there?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Oh hello, you are showing up as Pearl Wilson - nice to meet you in cyber world. I have a 2003 Prius. It was running fine. It is older has 245K miles, has both batteries replaced. Was running fine, suddenly started a warning and then shut off. The warning is "C1202 Brake Fluid Level Warning Switch Open Circuit". What can be done?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a friend who is a specialist in replacing the hybrid batteries. He came and evaluated it. He put new spark plugs in and changed the oil, with being very careful to put in exactly the right amount.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

From our research and from looking at the car, it seems like there is a sensor in the brake fluid reservoir thats on top of the engine. Is that the part to replace?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Also, the car acts like this: start the car, it will run for 20 seconds or so, then it shuts off. it seems the computer is shutting the motor off.
10/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, the brake fluid level warning switch is located on the master cylinder and is replaceable, this should take care of the warning light. It's also possible that it's just low on brake fluid. The reason the engine starts and then turns off is that the computer shuts it off when it's not needed, for example at idle it will run to charge the HV battery, if the battery is nearly full the engine will stop until you put the car in gear to drive it or another type of demand is made on it such as using the air conditioner then the engine will stay running longer this is normal.

Hello Ted Ritter - What is happening is that the engine will start but then it is immediately turned off by the computer. Not because it is not needed but probably because the computer shuts it off as seeing a safety issue. It is definitely that the computer shuts it off immediately. The engine will not respond to the gas and there is no way to keep it running. I was thinking that the sensor is located in the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir on top of the motor, because I saw an electrical wire to the bottom of that reservoir. Is that the sensor which this error is referring to? Where is the master cylinder?
Could it be that the sensor is not incorrect at all but that rather the master cylinder has failed?
I am at work now, I am not at the car, so its fine to use this texting for now.

Yes. just reply when you are able to do so.

Have you been able to find any more information about the "C1202 Brake Fluid Level Warning Switch Open Circuit" error? There is still brake fluid in the fluid reservoir. But in reading on line, it may be that the fluid is leaking out internally, like it is not exiting the car, but something has broken in the braking system. Have you got any experience with a situation like that?

Please use this link for more information about the C1202 code.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech