Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Prius does not want to start. When I jump the battery the…

Customer Question
My Prius does not...

My Prius does not want to start. When I jump the battery the engine does not come on. I get a red car with an exclamation point

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery in the trunk?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Prius?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I have tried to jump it haha. I just hope to get it running and take it to a service center. I checked oil levels. It's good. I can't find the transmission fluid dipstick to check that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The screen gives a message about the "P" lock not being locked and says to park on a flat surface with park brake pressed all the way down. That has made no difference

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
I have added my card info
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Service offers?
10/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a code reader to see if there any codes set in the engine computer?

I do not have a code reader

With this kind of car we have to start somewhere typically if there's a problem in the hybrid system that won't allow the vehicle to ready on it will set a code in the engine computer. You can rent or borrow code readers from your local parts store or you can even purchase one of these days for less than $50 that will at least allow you to gain access to the engine computer. I recommend everybody have one in the glove box it will save you hundreds of dollars a diagnostic fees. Is this something that you'll be able to do? Did you test a 12 volt battery?

I don't have $26. The 12v the one in the trunk?
Are you googling the answer?

All of the replies will be sent here. There are Multiple things that can cause this problem. Checking the 12 volt batteries the first thing. It's in the right rear quarter panel of the trunk area. Remove the battery and have it tested if it won't maintain above 12 volts that will cause the problem with it not starting however jumper cables should be able to cause the vehicle to ready out unless there's a problem in the electrical system itself or the HV system. Check with your local parts stores a lot of time they have tool rentals or you can borrow one on loan with a small deposit. We need to start by checking for codes.