Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2D4D 2011 model, with ~70.000

Customer Question
miles drives perfectly all summer...
My Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2D4D 2011 model, with ~70.000 miles drives perfectly all summer, but as we now come into the colder period of the year I have yet again started to get a recurring, but intermittent problem. The issue is that when the weather is cold and the car is stopped and idling, i.e. at traffic lights, or in a queue, the engine just cuts out for no reason. This does not happen all the time, and does not seem to be linked to cold or warm engine. Usually the car starts again immediately, but sometimes takes several attampts (not nice when you are holding up traffic at a major junction!). The car is regularly serviced, and at last service I asked the Toyota garage to check for this fault, but they could find nothing.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Hello Matt, would any of these faults be more likely to cause the engine stop when its cold?
Hi Matt, I will review your ideas and come back to you if I have furher questions in a coiple of days. I must go now as my son has just unexpectedly called me.

understood