Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Passenger seatbelt light blinking with no one in seat also…

Customer Question
Passenger seatbelt light blinking...

Passenger seatbelt light blinking with no one in seat also airbag light always says off even if seat is occupied. Airbag light on as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

I looked and didn’t see anything but did notice it does seem to have the same clicking sound as driver latch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Does not have I meant. 2004 rav4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

2006 sorry

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I tinker with small things. Nothing major

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 10 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Without anyone in the seat connect the seatbelt to the buckle, does the seat belt light still blink? Does the beeper sound?

has the seat recently been removed for any reason?

Has the car been in an accident recently?

it’s stays blinking. No beeper. Airbag always on off. No accident. Seat hasn’t been removed but does seem a little loose

Thanks for the reply

Check the seatbelt buckle for any foreign object that may have fallen inside, if it's clear try replacing the buckle part, the switch to turn the light off is in the buckle. There could also be a problem with the occupant classification system, this senses if a person is sitting in the seat, there could be a fault of the seat weight sensor or ir may just need to be re calibrated so before just trying to put a part on and hope it works I would recommend to have it diagnosed correctly, preferably at a Toyota dealer using the diagnostic computer, as I said it may be just a simple recalibration of the system to take care of this.