Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I mistakenly put about 3 gallons of leaded gas in my 2010…

Customer Question
I mistakenly put about...

I mistakenly put about 3 gallons of leaded gas in my 2010 prius. Do I need to drain the tank? It has not be run.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Have not run it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well i tried to siphon but that did not seem to work

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 10 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You need to get the leaded gas out of the tank, Do not start the car. If you cannot siphon the gas out have it towed to a shop where they can remove the tank and drain it. Leaded gas will destroy the catalytic converter almost instantly. This will cause you check engine light to come on and the vehicle will not pass an emission inspection with a bad catalytic converter.

If you have any questions, please reply. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thank you!