Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander the A/C is not working.

Customer Question
History, i am in Florida...
I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander the A/C is not working. History, i am in Florida the car has not been started for 5 months. Had to charge the battery to for 2.5 hrs to start.
After starting I noticed the digital clock was not working and the A/C did not turn on(no green light on button). The blower motor is on blowing some air. Then the selector switch to change the blower out different vents, no response.
I am so noticed the rear defroster and air recirculating switch not working.
I have checked all the fuses, all good.Help
Steve
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
10/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.
Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing
Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:
A hot compressor / pump
A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condenser
A hot condenser on the inlet
A warm condenser on the outlet
A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)
A cold evaporator outlet line
A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor

If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test

Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas