Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My reverse lights are always on, on my 97 camry LE. wither…

Customer Question
My reverse lights are...

My reverse lights are always on, on my 97 camry LE. wither in park, drive, neutral or reverse, the reverse lights are always on if the car is running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

On the rear of the car, the white reverse lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I want to fix it my self, don't know where to start

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 10 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a couple common possibilities: On the transaxle, there is a box with a wire harness. This is the "Park-Neutral switch" On this unit, there can be two related causes for your reverse lights staying on: 1) the switch is faulty internally. This allows the contacts inside the switch to send power to the reverse lights even though reverse is not selected. A 'cross circuit' if you will. and, 2) there is corrosion on the wire connector that connects the switch unit to the wire harness. This can allow power to flow from the switch across the wire connector terminals and cross feed to power the reverse lights. More often than not, the switch itself is faulty internally. If you locate the unit and unplug it, and the lights go out, you have isolated the problem. You will need to remove the air filter box from the engine compartment to access this switch. Once that is done, look for the arm that the inside shifter moves. The switch should be connected to the arm. Use penetrating oil liberally before taking it apart; the bolts are known to rust and you do not want to break them. If you have any questions, please reply. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input on your request. Thank you!

Do you have a diagram of the location of this

The shifter moves an arm on the front of the transaxle (the side that faces the radiator. Remove the air cleaner box and have someone move the shift lever. You will see the shift cable moving an arm on the transaxle. On the arm is the switch.