Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need a live prius mechanic. the following explains my

Customer Question
issue and question.I need guidance...
I need a live prius mechanic. the following explains my issue and question.I need guidance from a qualified Prius mechanic conversant with the electronic synchronization and mechanical issues to guide me in fixing or dumping a problem car.The 09 Prius with 106,000 miles and clean inside and out was bought at auction of impounded vehicles, like DUI forfeitures. It was not running, and had sustained a bump on the nose that will require a new hood and front bumper. Then it will be a clean car.The hidden damage included a radiator and a/c condenser that was fixed. When it would not start the shop installed a rebuilt “Green Bean” hi voltage battery with a 5 year warranty for $1600. The purchaser had about $5000 invested when he gave up and sold it to me for $2500, still not starting. I had an itinerant prius computer tech named Eric try to fix it. He had codes for everything from HV ECU to inverter to coolant pump, to throttle position sensor that he pursued. He finally got it running, and cleared all other codes, but it runs a minute, then shuts off after a short time and gives codes P3190 (wont start), P0A0F, and B2799.Early in Eric’s’ quest the car would start, and run for about 20 seconds, at which point the idle speed would increase – then the car would shut down on its own. The battery was not charging – and he determined it needed to be initialized or synchronized – which he attempted to do, with some success.The weird thing is we found water in the intake manifold under the throttle body. I presumed a head gasket – but we looked into two other running prius’ and found water on the floor of the intake. I concluded this was some artifact of prius on humid summer days. Now Eric says the car runs till it seems to choke on an abundance of water in the intake. I did not do a compression test. The water in the radiator is going down, which could be due to improper bleeding when they replaced the radiator (they used the wrong green antifreeze0 which indicates they did not understand the difficulty bleeding a prius cooling system. There is no oil in the manifold water. I thought the tailpipe smelled strange, possibly antifreeze smell when it did start.Also the Green Bean battery is an issue. They installed it, and noted on the work order that it was discharging and customer was aware. It of course was dead, and I took it out and got it recharged to run diagnostics. I also had a recent new HV battery out of my wrecked Prius that I am trying to replace. Eric ran both batteries dead while trying to initialize the car electronics. He actually then charged both of them by installing in his own Prius, and my “new” silver battery is installed now. I asked Eric to test the green battery, because it has a warranty that requires a printout of a diagnostic showing battery failure (at owner expense), at which point the company will actually swap out a replacement in your driveway for free. Eric gave me a printout of a diagnostic that showed the 14 banks ranging from 12.16 volts to 14.28 volts. Eric said that good cells all should be above 14.4 volts.If you can help me, I will post the printout so you can see the cells. My question is whether this battery is defective – and does this printout prove it.I need help in deciding whether to proceed with repair, or take a $1,000 loss and dump the car as a handyman special on Craigs List.Specifically the questions I need help with:Is there an explanation why all 3 prius’ I examined had water in the manifold. This is not a blown gasket in my wife’s prius that has water in manifold, but does not lose coolant. Do I have a head gasket problem in the subject car. How can I tell.Do I have enough documentation to tell Green Bean their battery is defective. (You will have to see the printout first)Is there an initialization procedure to sync the prius electronics. What is it likely to cost to sync it at a $100 per hour shop with competent staff.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician replied 7 months ago
Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

Are you available to chat?

The blue 09 prius is 3 hours away. I want to drive down and see the state it is in. Specifically I want to see if the green bean battery is installed, or my good silver battery with 20,000 miles. I am most interested in getting the battery replaced under warranty if it is defective, so I can keep the silver battery for my wifes high mileage (183,000) white prius. My goal is to sell it as a "mechanics special". I think a likely scenario is: the car was in a minor front end accident that damaged radiator, and coolant was lost - but engine was not shut off and overheated - taking out the head gasket. Eric kept getting the fail to start code because of head gasket. If head gasket is replaced, it may be easy to sync. One other issue not mentioned above is that Eric had a bad crankshaft sensor code, and replaced the sensor. He retrieved all the parts of the broken sensor, except the magnet out of the sensor body, which undoubtedly fell into the upper pan, where it will have lodged at the pulley end of the pan in a valley between the oil pump bump and cabin side wall, or it went down into the bottom pan. I think I need to drop the oil pan and retrieve the magnet before selling the car to an unsuspecting buyer. Do you agree, and have any thoughts on the lost magnet (a neodymium cylinder about 1/2 in dia bu 3/4 in long). I am anxious for your input on whether my battery diagnostic is sufficient to request replacement. I will attach the printout of battery, and upper pan. I am also curious about the water in the manifold of both my wifes car, and Erics prius. How does that happen Do you think I have a coolant leak when running going into my manifold?

Sorry I am back are you around to discuss? I see the problem.

BTW, Eric doesn't know what he is talking about.

We seem to be on different schedules. I went to bed early last night, and am off to work today. I may have an internet connection after 3 pm today, or late tonight. If you write your thoughts, I will be able to respond in reasonable time. I am anxious to hear.
I do not want to use the phone option. It does not fit in my workplace, and does not leave a written log for me to folloe. I would be happy to raise the price on the question if it wold be more appropriate. Particularly if I have a warped head or something that will require more hands on through the process. I do have my wrecked 07 prius with 244,000 miles as a parts donor. I can increase the complexity, or just bonus you when we see what is required. Thanks. Jim
Are you on my case? Can we pick a time to dialog? We can do the phone if that will get things rolling.I need to know
What you think is wrong with blue prius ?
Does the green bean battery qualify for warranty replacement by Green Bean reconditioners.
How much shop time is likely required to sync and initialize, if that is required?
If I need to pull the head, can I use my old 244,000 mile 07 head? Will it need a valve job? can you walk me through R&R the head, including keeping timing correct. My friend Max is an "engine changing mechanic" who can do the task if I have the procedures.
What is the water in the manifold? Do I have a warped head or head gasket?
Is the loose magnet an issue to worry about, or will it fall and stick to bottom pan?
Is the green zerex the shop put in radiator a problem short term till I get running, and replace with pink?Please advise when we can start communicating. Should I start over with a higher price question to account for complexity?
PLEASE CANCEL THIS QUESTION. I HAVE THE INFORMATION I NEED ON THE BATTERY.
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician