Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander chk Eng light P0016 Local…

Customer Question
I have a...

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander chk Eng light P0016 Local Expert says timing belt slipped a notch Car V6 runs fine gets 22 mpg around town no power loss is that possible??

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power loss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change oil & filter oil not dirty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thankyou

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The most common cause for the code P0016 to set is usually the timing belt being off but if the engine is running properly with no loss of power then that is not likely the case. The other thing that can cause this code to set would be damage tone wheel. The slightest scratch on the tone wheel can be picked up by the computer as an irregularity. To determine if in fact that is the case a visual inspection is necessary. Inspect the reluctor wheel very carefully to see if one of the teeth is scratched in the slightest. A very small scratch will cause this code. The code P0016 is the bank one side of the engine as well.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician