Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Getting a number 1 and number 4 cylinder misfire changed the…

Customer Question
getting a number 1 and...
getting a number 1 and number 4 cylinder misfire changed the spark plugs and it goes away but then both the spark plugs will foul out eventually and get the same code I've tried reversing coil packs and replace fuel injectors none of that is working so far. It is also blowing out a lot of smoke so I am pretty sure it is a weak spark because I replace the fuel injectors thinking they were stuck open and that didn't fix it.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Can a cam position sensor or a crank position sensor cause those two cylinders to have a low Spark?
9/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

When you pull the spark plug wires out, do the wires have oil or water on them?

No. Also the compression is between 190 and 200 on All 4 cylinders

And yes I understand that the coil mounts on top of each plug. The plug wire I am referring to is the part under the coil that connects to the plug.

You said that the plugs foul out. What do they look like when you remove them?

they are coilover I understood what you meant about spark plug wires. I'm actually a pretty decent mechanic but at this point I am stumped and this is the first time I've used just answer for any help on a vehicle. The spark plugs are black. The customer brought it in for a tune-up when I pulled the spark plugs number 1 and number 4 were were black and number two and number three were normal wear. As soon as I replaced the spark plugs and drove it for about a day or two the spark plugs fouled out. Thank you
they are coilover I understood what you meant about spark plug wires. I'm actually a pretty decent mechanic but at this point I am stumped and this is the first time I've used just answer for any help on a vehicle. The spark plugs are black. The customer brought it in for a tune-up when I pulled the spark plugs number 1 and number 4 were were black and number two and number three were normal wear. As soon as I replaced the spark plugs and drove it for about a day or two the spark plugs fouled out.

Where they sooty black or oily crusty black?

Soot black

Have you put a noid light on cylinders 1 and 4?

the fuel injector is getting power noid light flashes

Does the noid light light up with the key in the run position, engine not running?

No

What kind of scan tool do you have?

Many generic ones and a Genesis Evo

Can you see what the st trim and lt trim are with the engine running please?

Sorry I thought my text went through. Short FT1 is 20 long FT1 is 44

I do not believe that your problem is cylinders 1 and 4. I believe that cylinders 2 and 3 are running to lean. The pcm is adding way to much fuel. Check around the intake for vacuum leaks. Also check the brake booster and make sure it is not leaking vacuum.

I had previously checked for vacuum leaks with smoke machine found one small one and fixed it still have the same problem though
Number 1 and number 4 cylinder are far away from each other and don't share any similar vacuum lines nearby.

With your trim levels as high as they are, you have to be getting to much air to cylinders 2 and 3.

I have to go look at a truck. I will check in on you and see what you find.

I hooked the smoke machine backup and there still is no vacuum leak anywhere the smoke machine is holding steady pressure even after I turn the flow off
There are other sets of fuel trim percentages the ones I gave you were short trim 1 and long-term 1. short trim 2 was bouncing around from 2 to 4 and long-term 2 was - 3 to -1
I figured it out bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor was bad. Thanks anyways