Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Toyota Tundra changed battery and horn is going off…

Customer Question
2012 Toyota Tundra changed...

2012 Toyota Tundra changed battery and horn is going off won't start. Factory alarm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Not on this truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced battery and when I connect it the horn goes off continusly

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. I'm sure there's a bypass switch I'm missing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 8 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Ok ty.

Hey how are you

the battery dying triggered the anti theft alarm

lets try resetting using below procedure

and we go from there ,there is no bypass switch unfortunately or a fuse or relay to pull out ,the anti theft module will send signal to car computer to authorize start up after recognizing the key , if the reset does not work , you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to pull up fault codes and pull up troubleshoot ,

we have key fob,door switches ,hood switches ,rf signal, antenat reciver etc.. to many parts involved and we will be guessing

but battery dead ,recharge or rep;lace and reset it ,if all was working before it should reset it if there is no fault present in system

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Ok let me try that

ok sounds good

keep me updated ,in case you get it scanned and get fault i can still help more then

That didn't work
Do you have a test light can you check fuses
Can you check battery terminals , all the way to starter , are we getting 12 volts at starter
Is a security light flashing in dash
I put the original battery back on and used jumper cables. It turns over but won't start.
Is there a security light on , KEY SYMBOL FLASHING ?
Nope. Im able to disengage the alarm with my control.
How , ok no alarm ,we have no crank condition ,correct engine does not turn over ?
It turns over just wont start
Ok we need fuel and spark to start ,do you have starting fluid can ,spray in intake or Tb body does it start and die ?
U can buy from local parts store
I don't have the expertise to do all that. It acts like it wants to start but it wont?

well it sounds like a weak battery , cables , or just a bad or weak starter

have these checked

Please let me know if you need anything gesle on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I had it towed to the dealership.

I m so Sorry ,you did the best possible on it with out tools , keep me update ,

I m sorry could not help further

keep me updated

Chad

You are very welcome :)

Thank You
Chad Farhat