Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My engine fuse keeps blowing every time I turn the ignition,

Customer Question
My engine fuse keeps...

My engine fuse keeps blowing every time I turn the ignition, it happened first when i was going down the highway and my rpm, oil and water gauges cut out along with all 4 turn signals

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

The ENG had a 30 amp in it when it first blew -should have been a 15, replaced it with a 15 and it blew right away again

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Toyota?

Its a 1987 toyota 4runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I've been looking through the engine bay and around the gas tank and exhaust for a burnt wire..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it, thanks so much!

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Fixitman, Master Technician replied 10 months ago
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** every time I have come across this with this vehicle it is a combination of failures. Most of the time the failure starts in the vane air flow sensor. This is the metal sensor located in the intake tube from the air filter to the engine. Typically this shorts and causes the computer to also burn up internally and fail. I would typically change out the sensor and replace the fuse to see if it blows the fuse. If it does then the computer needs to be replaced also. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.