Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1992 3.0 Toyota Camry. Starts fine but after a

Customer Question
I have a 1992...

I have a 1992 3.0 Toyota Camry. Starts fine but after a minute or two it starts missing and smoking grey smoke . I’ve changed all three oxygen sensors . Cleaned throttle body and idle control valve . Also coolant sensor and coolant sensor sender .

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

They do . That’s my weak spot is the electrical testing and such .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah that’s what I’ve done . Getting frustrated . It only has 150,000 original miles .it was my dads so I kinda want to keep it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s it . Thanks

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 9 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Gray smoke could indicate that coolant is being burned in a combustion chamber, doe the smoke emission have any kind of smell to it, is the coolant in the reservoir bottle? Do you frequently have to add coolant into the reservoir tank.

Grey smoke with a smell of strong exhaust like unburned fuel coolant level is fine

Thanks for the reply, by any chance is the check engine light staying on while driving?

Have you tried removing the spark plugs to see what they look like.

I haven’t checked them since I changed them when I changed the oxygen sensors . No check engine light . Before I did all this it would randomly miss with black smoke . Did it less after I cleaned the throttle body and edge, and ignition control valve .

I​t almost sounds like some injectors are hanging up, maybe run some injector cleaner through it and see what happens. Hard to say at this point, to be sure I would suggest having a headgasket test done, it uses a chemical that is sensitive to hydrocarbons in the cooling system. If the test is negative then at least you eliminate that as the cause, that smoke is some cause for concern that there may be a leaking head gasket because it takes a little while til the engine warms up to show up.