Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My oil light has come on and my oil is full. I’m about 40kns…

Customer Question
My oil light has...

My oil light has come on and my oil is full. I’m about 40kns from home and concerned about driving it and doing damage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The oil light in the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it’s alwsys been serviced by a mechanic and i’ve Never had any problems to date

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that’s it. I’ve checked and topped up the oil and it’s now full but the light is still on

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 10 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. How long has the light been on and how much oil did it need to be topped off?

It’s been on for about 30mins and i’ve Put 3/4 litre in
I need to get home, about 40kms away. Can I damage the engine by driving it? The temp is fine and running ok otherwise

If you had low oil pressure, after driving it for 30 minutes, the engine would be making a loud rapping noise. Low oil pressure can and will damage an engine in less than 5 minutes of driving. As long as it is not making any noise, it could be nothing more than a bad oil sending unit. I cannot tell you exactly what the problem is without looking at it, but, 30 minutes of driving and no horrible rapping noises seems to indicate a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Now, if it DOES start to make noise whilst driving, you need to stop and shut it off to prevent internal damage.