Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

06 corolla. Hazard flashers will not turn off. Start the

Customer Question
06 corolla. Hazard flashers will...
06 corolla. Hazard flashers will not turn off.
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Start the engine and they go off
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Headlights turn on. Battery is fine, 2 years old but have had no problems.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thinking either the switch or a relay but not sure if I'm on the right track.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Fixitman, Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** the flashers only turn on when the vehicle is off? Do all of the lights and blinkers work fine when the engine is running?

Parking lights, headlights work. Can't say for sure that turn signals function. Pulled the fuse to save the battery.
Flashers on when vehicle not running. Start the engine and flashers go off.

Thank you. Most of the time this is caused by a bad hazard switch. It can also be a short in the hazard flasher. This is located under the driver side of the dash. I would usually replace the hazard switch first. It can be diagnosed using a voltage meter, but the switch is the most common. Please let me know if you need more help.

that was my first thought but the switch functions appropriately with the engine running. In other words I can turn flashers on and off with engine running.

Then it is not the switch. If it functions fine with the engine running then it is more than likely the flash module under the driver side of the dash that has failed.

How can I definitively identify the flash module??
Your saying that replacing flash module will fix the problem.
Is there a schematic I could find maybe online to identify flash module??

Do you want a wiring schematic?

I'm not an electrician or mechanic but if it is fairly straightforward I think it would be helpful. Anything you think would help me identify this module.
What exactly is this module called?? If I went to local parts house what would I ask for??

This is not typically sold at most auto parts stores. It is a small, typically black plastic rectangular module. Most of the time it has to come from the dealer.

It looks like it is available aftermarket now. It is either called the lighting control module or the flasher control module.

I waited to rate because I wanted to see if you were correct. You were not. Replaced flash module and same problem. No change except I'm out $60.
Do you have a voltage meter so that I can run you through other tests?
I have a voltage meter.
Since I replaced this flash module the switch no longer works with the engine running. Before replacing module the switch functioned normally with the engine running.

So everything else remains the same but the only thing that has changed is the switch no longer works.

That is correct. The switch now does not work with the engine running.
Fixitman
Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician