Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 97 Camry won't start because of the anti theft system.

Customer Question
My 97 Camry won't...

My 97 Camry won't start because of the anti theft system. I've completely removed it, but still no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've taken the alarm system(which I have no remote for) completely out rewired everything and still nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

Aftermarket alarms usually have a replay wired in between the ignition switch and the starter, it's usually under the plastic cover below the steering wheel, did you remove it and splice the wires back together?

We cannot figure out which wire to splice

Thanks for the reply

There is a heavy wire which is black/white or black yellow, remove then from the relay and splice them together.

Ok, just did that. black and yellow, spliced to white it still turns over but will not start. Also just like before there is no power to accessories. . . stereo, lights, hvac etc

W​ere there any other wires attached to the relay and what color were they.

there are 2 red with black wires, a solid red, and a white with red

I'm going to look at a diagram and get back you soon.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but the only thing on this car electrically that is working right now is the starter

Ok, I thought that was all that was wrong with it, anyway put the two blsck/red wires together, does that change anything/? Do you have a test light or voltmeter, is it a 4cylinder camry?

The two black and red wires are together in the same terminal should I break them off and splice them together. Also we do have a voltmeter we just checked and there is no power going to any of the fuses inside of the car. However there is 12 volts at the black and red wire

The black/red wires come from the ignition switch, if the two are connected leave then as is. I'll be right back. Are there any loose wires hanging down under the dash?

no. all wires are connected

With the ignition switch on is there 12 volts at the black yellow wire? It supplies the inner fuse box with power.

In the fuse box under the hood, check the 100A alternator fuse, it has a clear cover on it, the fuse may be blown.

If that fuse were blown, would it cut the power to the fuse box inside the car. Hence the reason I have no power to any of the accessories?

Actually that fuse powers the ignition switch so if the black/yellow wire has power then that fuse should be ok, I'm just not seeing how or where power is lost between that wire and the inside fuse box.when the switch is on. The black red wire provides power to the ignition system. There are twi wires going to the switch that must have power, the large white one and the white red one, can you confirm that both of these have power at the switch? There is a AM2 fuse in the box under the hood, does it have power and is it good/

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician