Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I tried hooking up a 12 volt battery charger to a individual…

Customer Question
I tried hooking up...

I tried hooking up a 12 volt battery charger to a individual battery like it said to do in order to get each battery up enough for the cart charger to take over but the charger kicks off after a minute or so keep in mind I have a 48 volt cart

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I did not test it but the battery is not leaking , the water was low in the battery and my girlfriend put bottled water in them instead of distilled water

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

I think its a 2013 EZ Go 48 volt golf cart

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, this has happened before and I brought it to a shop where they charged me about $350.00 to jump start it, the cart was brought to one of my other houses and has been sitting for about 6 weeks so no one had checked on it so apparently the batteries went down because when they got ready to move it when they turned the key on they had no power on the meter, so they tried plugging it in and the battery charger won't even come on so I figured the batteries had dropped below the 30 amps required for the battery charger to kick on, it was charging and working fine before I brought it to the other house where it has not been plugged up since

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

How many batteries do you have?

I think I have 6 8 volt batteries but I would have to go see to make sure, I know they have 4 port holes on top of the battery to put water in
I was trying to figure out how to jump start or charge each individual battery itself if possible to get the charger to take over

OK, if you have 6 then they are 8 volt. Do you have a voltmeter?

You need to charge each battery to 8.2 volts and each has to be within .2 volts of each other.

Once you have that then the cart charger will be happy and take over.

Let me know what I can do to help with this

Thanks

will a 12 volt car battery charger work on this battery and what I understand is that you have to disconnect each battery and charge them individually correct

Sure just use the voltmeter to watch how much each is charged to so you don't over charge them.

You do not need to disconnect them to charge each one

ok so how do I hook up the battery charger to the batteries because they are all tied together as in jumper wires, so which battery do I connect to

Just connect to each with the charger on the positive and negative posts with the travel switch off. then the charger only does the battery you are connected to. A little bit on each battery until you are within

8.1 - 8.2 on each battery.

Do you get trouble lights on the charger?

put the switch in the tow mode, I have a manual charger with a meter on the car battery charger I'm using to charge the cart battreies

Yes, you really need a stand alone voltmeter. Sears has some that are inexpensive or an autoparts store. Charge til all the batteries have the same voltage, no need to disconnect them. If you can get them all to 8 volts the charger will work, 8.1 or 8.2 is better but minimum is 8 volts.

I have a volt meter so I can keep an eye on them, let go try this and see what happens

Good, it may take many hours to get each balanced, let me know how i can help

Thanks