Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Steering wheel is locked key wont turn at all. It will move…

Customer Question
Steering wheel is locked...

Steering wheel is locked key wont turn at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

Yes it will move somewhat to the right but key stays in lock position

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1992 Toyota camry xle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just turn wheel to the right, it wont go left at all and work the key but key wont move at all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the steering column isn't locked in a way that it's binding the linkage in the column then this is most likely being caused by a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. The permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder but you may be able to get the key to turn again temporarily.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly several times, repeat the process.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few good taps on the end. This will often jar loose a stuck tumbler.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!