Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm having an issue getting my Trac light and anti slip

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm having...

Hi there, I'm having an issue getting my Trac light and anti slip lights to go off. I have tried the standard zero point calibration procedure, but it doesn't solve the problem. I noticed that during the recalibration step that the steering wheel light blinks. I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It's a 2013 sienna. The "have the dealership check VSC" system is in the center info screen. THen on the dash the anti slip and the yellow triangle are on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done the zero point calibration to no avail

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/23/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Is the yellow check engine light also illuminated? Do you have a code reader to find out what the codes are in the VSC system causing the light to come on?

The yellow check engine light is not on. I have a code reader, but it does not find VSC codes (either because it is not able or there aren't any).

click this link and download and save the information. The PDF will show you where to install the jumper wire in the diagnostic port then turn the key on a monitor the flash pattern of the VSC and ABS light. Let me know what the two digit code numbers are based on the flash pattern on the lights. There'll be a lot of lights flashing keep in mind monitoring one system at a time right the two digit numbers down if they are more than one code the second two digit code will follow after a delay. In the system will repeat itself. be careful when inserting a small piece of jumper wire that you don't damage the female pins of the connector. Once you have the code numbers post them back here.

Ok I jumped 4 and 13. The ABS light flashes quickly and constantly. Didn't note a pattern. The Slip light flashes 3 times and then once.

code 31 indicates a malfunction in the steering angle sensor it is either a power source voltage or internal circuit failure or an output malfunction from the steering angle sensor. Zero point calibrating will do no good at this point the sensor probably will need to be replaced but in order to confirm it with 100% certain extensive diagnostic testing needs to be done on the steering angle sensor which is in the steering column.

That's strange. I just replaced the intermediate steering shaft and it was fine before that. Any thoughts on what may have caused the sensor to go bad just now? I'd like to not repeat this experience!

the steering angle sensor snaps into the back of the spiral cable assembly where the turn signal and light lever are attached. Did you have any of those connectors disconnected? If the connector did not get snapped back into the steering angle sensor it will set off three of these codes. 31 can be one of three different issues with the steering sensor is just a general category code for the steering angle sensor.. Having intermediate shaft off should have no effect provided the wheel didn't get turned and the sensor is not an exact same spot it was in prior to removing the intermediate shaft. In which case the steering angle sensor may need to be just recalibrated and that requires a scan tool.

I see, yes the wheel moved slightly during the procedure (maybe 10 degrees so I could get the teeth aligned). So the zero point calibration does not calibrate the steering angle sensor for this purpose. I need to get to somebody with the correct device to do it, is that right? Do most typical mechanics have access to this tool or is this a Toyota only type of thing?

if the steering wheel is not straight you will need to adjust the steering so that the car goes straight down the road and the steering wheel is straight. This may require a front end alignment with a tie rod adjustment. There is also a procedure for resetting the zero point on the steering angle sensor follow the directions once the steering wheel is straight and see if this corrects the problem if it doesn't it will require a visit to the dealership very few aftermarket shops can handle this type of repair. click this link and download the information this is the zero point calibration method using the jumper wire in the port under the instrument panel. there are 2 zero points one for the steering angle and one for the yaw and deceleration sensors. as an experiment if the wheel is slightly off just make sure that the wheels are straight and leave the wheel where it is then remove both battery cable ends from the battery isolated from the battery place in jumper wire between the two ends to reset the entire system. Then reinstall the battery cables and drive the vehicle as described in the steering angle calibration set point then do the zero point calibration with the jumper wire as seen in the file I sent you on the last two pages. The computer is not seeing the original zero point of the steering angle sensor or the sensor got damaged. It would be extremely unlikely that the sensor got damaged it's protected pretty well behind the spiral cable. Turning the wheel in the direction shouldn't affect the actual functionality of the sensor.