Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Power Back door will not open using tailgate button, remote…

Customer Question
Power Back door will...

Power Back door will not open using tailgate button, remote or button on dash. I've checked the on/off switch and tried different things. It just beeps! any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on?

Since Sunday when I had to have the car jumped to get it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2010 Venza

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I will try to fix it myself since I live in Campbellsville, Ky which is about 90 mins to Lexington Should I try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it? I know I need to check the fuse but it is in a covered fuse bank that is grounded and I am a little leary of messing with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. Thanks!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
9/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 9 months ago
Dennis Gooch

I can help! Give me a moment to look up some reference and I will reply!

Toyota Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 9 months ago

The system may just need to re-learn. You can do this by manually open the rear hatch, then disconnect negative battery terminal for ten seconds, then manually close hatch after battery reconnected to initialize the system.

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

Toyota Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 9 months ago

1. The Service Manual states: When the back door is open and the [battery] cable is disconnected and reconnected to the negative (-) battery terminal, fully close the back door by hand to initialize the power back door system.
Hint: If the back door closer system does not operate and/or the back door does not open, disconnect the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal. Then wait 10 seconds, reconnect the cable and perform initialization of the power back door system again.

Also check the position of the door lockout switch to the left of the steering wheel :)